I’m officially done with week one of training for Tinman 70.3.
I am officially embracing this rest day. This past week has absolutely been the right way to step things off. It wasn’t all ups, there were a few downs but overall there was plenty of forward momentum.
Here are the ups…
- I went to the pool three times. For me, this is a minor miracle. I generally avoid this. However, not only did I go, but after my third swim on Sunday I almost admitted that I didn’t hate swimming.
- It was a week with two bricks. I haven’t done more than 10-15 minutes off the bike since last fall. With a 1:30/5 brick and a 1:30/3 brick in the bank, I’m a happy girl.
- My coach, J, pushed me but listened when I needed him to listen. He did not make me feel like a loser in week one. For that I thank him.
- A training peaks account with a lot of green lighting up the board. This is not always my norm. I plan to make it such.
- And lastly, what it was is a big confidence boost that this training cycle could have some really great things in store.
There were a few hiccups…
- Only some days did I get my butt out of bed early in the morning. When I don’t get up early, it leads to a lot of evening workouts and I tend to not get anything else done. These things include, laundry, dishes, cleaning, etc.
- I struggled a bit with my heart rate on the run for my long run. I’m not sure if this is still a left over side affect from the bronchitis plague a few weeks ago that is still inhabiting my lungs or if it was mostly in my head.
- I was tired! Holy cow, I forgot how tired. But I’m making adjustments to accommodate this and remember where and when to get my rest. TV off by 9:30!!!
This training cycle I’m really trying to focus and put in the work. Because I’m not training for a full distance Ironman, I really want to give this my all. And I have to say that with all of these ups and just a few minor hiccups, it sure feels like I did this week.
At the end of all of my workouts this week, I sent a text to Coach J…. and it went like this.
Me: Week one is done.
Me: And I’m alive still. #winning
J: Ha! Excellent.
Me: It’s just one day at a time. Thanks for the push.
And that about sums up my week.
Week 1 Totals:
Swimming: 5850 yrds
Biking: 57.7 miles
Running: 19.5 miles