I’m a little late to the game on this post. I started it earlier in the week and never got around to finishing it. Today, I will finish! I’ve been thankful here on the blog both last year and the year before that! I know that we’re all thankful for things in our lives. I think that it’s important for us to acknowledge out loud the things that we are thankful or grateful for because I think that in the shuffle of life, we can lose track of those things all too easily. So here goes….
“He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” – Epictetus
– First and always foremost, I am thankful for my son. You make each day worth it and I will forever be grateful for having you in my life. I love you with my entire being.
– My family. We don’t talk every day, but we’re always there for each other. Throughout life’s up and downs I know that you will always be there and I can always turn to you. I can’t thank you enough for being the incredible people you are and for helping me become who I am today. I love you all immensely and I’m sorry that I don’t see you more often to say it in person.
A few of my favorite family peeps!
– My pseudo family. I am blessed to have amazing people in my life. You have supported me through the toughest times and you have stood by as I’ve pushed you away, shut you out, cried on your shoulder, etc. Some of these very key people are far away, but have helped me tremendously in the last few months. I love you for your support, which is unwavering. These are the old friends that you can call at 12:30 in the morning and they’ll answer because you’re in crisis. You know who you are. Love and I am so incredibly thankful for you.
Peeps & Birthday Races!
– My health. I know this should go without saying, but I think that sometimes we tend to take it for granted. At my count I’ve done numerous races and logged a vast number of miles. I am so blessed to be able to do this. I used to be reminded of this all of the time when I ran at the bike path with Team in Training. They always post pictures of their honor patients and it’s a wonderful reminder of not only why you’re fund-raising and logging early morning miles, but also of how lucky we are to be out there. Healthy, Happy and Whole.
– Coffee. Those of you who know me, understand this. I love coffee. Period. I’m certain that life wouldn’t be the same without it.
– Each Day. I am thankful for each day and what it brings. It’s not always good stuff, but I think that each day, each experience, each encounter brings with it the opportunity to learn something. I am working hard to learn from all of the experiences that I’ve had. I am hopeful that if I take these things to heart and look at them for what they are, glean what I can, that I can in the end make better choices, learn valuable lessons and live more fully.
– Nature. The ability to be outside and be in nature in any season is one of my favorite things. I love anything that involves not sitting in my house. Hiking, biking, running, boating, swimming, etc. It’s all fantastic. Being outside, I often pause to think in my own head about how lucky we are. If you pause for just a moment and look around, you’ll see all of the beauty. Life is truly an incredible thing. The scenery is amazing. Enjoy it. Take it in. I’ve always said, that even on a cold and windy morning, I love being outside for a run. (Ok, I don’t always love getting out of bed.) Once I’m up and outside, I think about what I’m getting to see vs. sitting in the house watching tv. Awesome. So take a walk, enjoy a sunset, pause at a lake. Whatever you do, just take a moment to enjoy the beauty of it all.
And more. I could probably go on for pages about what I’m thankful for. I imagine you might be able to as well. When you sit down and start putting it down on paper, you realize just how fortunate you are. And even when I’m down I realize that things will get better if I allow them to because look at all of the good things that I have in my life. What are you thankful for?